Seven people were killed after an electric charger ignited and sparked a fire in Shenzhen.
Five of the victims died in the blaze and two others were killed while trying to escape to safety, Apple Daily reports.
The incident occurred early Monday morning in a first-floor bicycle parking garage.
The fire apparently came from a bicycle that was being charged.
It was completely incinerated and dozens were damaged.
The fire quickly spread to other floors of the 13-story building where 600 people live.
Panicked residents tried to escape the blaze, some jumping out of windows, others rappelling down using blankets, towels and anything they could find.
A man fell to his death from the 11th floor while trying to jump across to the next building.
Another was killed in a stampede.
Five bodies were recovered from the burnt debris when firemen put out the blaze after four hours.
Four people were taken to hospital suffering from smoke inhalation and dozens were evacuated to a temporary shelter.
Authorities arrested a man suspected of being responsible for the fire.
Initial investigation showed a faulty charger leaked electricity and set fire to a tire of the bicycle.
An unnamed source said the parking lot was installed with electric chargers after a recent renovation.
More than 100 bikes were being charged at the time of the incident.
A residents’ committee has opened its own investigation.
– Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org