Date
16 January 2017
Pictures circulated online show a partly-eaten adornment on a birthday cake. A woman has slammed the cake maker, accusing it of ignoring child safety issues. Photos: Facebook
Pictures circulated online show a partly-eaten adornment on a birthday cake. A woman has slammed the cake maker, accusing it of ignoring child safety issues. Photos: Facebook

Cake shop faces heat as child falls sick after eating adornment

An online store that sells cakes has warned that adornments put on its products are for visual beauty only and that they are not meant to be eaten.

Miracle Cake Shop issued the reminder as it came under fire following reports that a child fell ill after eating a decorative item laid out on a cake.

Parents should ensure that their kids do not eat the adornments, it said.

The advisory came after netizens circulated a picture of a partly-eaten adornment that is said to have landed a kid in a hospital on Sunday.

The photo was posted by a woman who claimed that her child had to be taken to a doctor after he ate the sugar-coated adornment that was put on a birthday cake, news website hk01 reports.

An inspection of the adornment — which depicts an animal sitting in a cart — showed that it was made of polyfoam, a substance that is often used for packaging.

The mother said the child was initially taken to St. Teresa’s Hospital and later transferred to Kwong Wah Hospital for examination.

Tests were sought for poisoning and whether a gastric lavage would be necessary, she said.

Expressing shock at the incident, the woman slammed Miracle Cake, accusing the firm of ignoring children’s safety.

Ming Pao Daily cited a manager at Miracle Cake as saying that it had warned the buyer that the adornment was not edible when the birthday cake was delivered to her on Saturday.

The manager claimed that the incident was the first of its kind for her four-year-old store and that she will assign a lawyer to deal with the matter.

Dr. Tong Kai Sing, a pediatrician, said small children would not suffer from toxication or other complications if they consume a tiny amount of polyfoam.

However, it is possible that they might show symptoms such as abdominal distension or having difficulty passing stool, he said.

- Contact us at [email protected]

TL/AC/RC

EJI Weekly Newsletter