Date
23 July 2017
After her suicide attempt, the woman was sent to United Christian Hospital in Kwun Tong, where she almost started a fire. Photo: HKEJ
After her suicide attempt, the woman was sent to United Christian Hospital in Kwun Tong, where she almost started a fire. Photo: HKEJ

Woman almost causes fire at hospital after suicide attempt

A 37-year-old woman tried to kill herself by jumping into the sea in Lei Yue Mun at around 5:30 a.m. Tuesday after a quarrel with her boyfriend.

But she changed her mind, and responding policemen and firemen found her crying on a bench by the sea in San Ka Tsuen in Yau Tong, Headline Daily reports.

To prevent the woman, surnamed Tang, from trying to harm herself again, police sent her to the United Christian Hospital in Kwun Tong for observation.

While lying in bed at the emergency room, Tang took out her Samsung Galaxy S6 smartphone, which was still wet after being soaked in seawater, and began charging it.

Due to a short circuit, the charger conked out with sparks and heavy smoke, although the phone was still intact.

Luckily, security guards saw the smoke and put out the fire even before firefighters arrived.

No one was injured and hospital operations were not affected, although a hospital spokesman said it reserved the right to seek compensation from Tang as the socket she used was only for in-house equipment, Ming Pao Daily reported.

Cheung Sing-wai, an associate professor at the Department of Electrical and Electronic Engineering of the University of Hong Kong, said a phone charger, whether new or old, is usually not water-proof and therefore should not be used after it gets soaked because its short-circuit protection is likely to be out of order as a result.

He advised phone users to have their charger checked by a qualified technician after it is soaked in water to make sure they are still usable.

– Contact us at [email protected]

TL/AC/CG

EJI Weekly Newsletter

Please click here to unsubscribe