Police have launched an investigation after a man fell ill after consuming chocolate milk from a carton that was found bearing a syringe hole.
On Wednesday, a 42-year-old man felt dizzy, developed a stomach ache and started vomiting after he drank packaged chocolate milk that he bought at a convenience store.
The victim, who bears the surname Ng, was perplexed at how he suddenly took ill.
Suspecting that it may have something to do with the Vita chocolate milk that he consumed, he began inspecting the carton.
Examining the expiry date, he found the product was well within its shelf life.
However, to his horror he noticed a minute puncture hole on the top of the carton, the Hong Kong Economic Journal reports.
That led to suspicion that the drink may have been spiked by some miscreant using a syringe.
The matter has been reported to authorities, prompting a police investigation.
According to Ng, the carton was among two 250-milliliter Vitasoy chocolate milk cartons that he purchased at a 7-Eleven store located at the Ngau Tau Kok MTR station.
The purchases were made at around 3 pm on Wednesday, said Ng, who works as a manager at a sports equipment company.
After suffering stomach ache and vomiting, he was admitted to a hospital.
He has now made a full recovery, but the police are taking the matter seriously.
Yin Hiu-yu, a chief crime inspector in Sau Mau Ping district, said the hole found on the carton appears to have been made by a syringe.
An inspection has been carried on the 7-Eleven shop in question, but officers found no pinholes in other products.
A government laboratory is now conducting tests on the drink and the victim’s blood and urine.
Police officers plan to pore through CCTV footage from the store and also make some inquiries with the manufacturer.
Vitasoy International Holdings (00345.HK), meanwhile, said it is deeply concerned about the reported incident and that it will fully cooperate with the police investigation.
It said it has checked its products in stock and found no abnormalities.
During the 1990s, Hong Kong saw quite a few cases where people were robbed after being drugged through boxed beverages.
One of the notable syndicates was led by a former correctional service officer named Kwok Yuk-ho.
Believed to have been responsible for over 20 counts of the crime between July 1994 and Feb 1995, Kwok was arrested and sentenced to 14 years in jail.
[Chinese version 中文版]
– Contact us at [email protected]