Hong Kong health authorities are investigating if the death of a 42-year-old Filipino domestic helper was due to food poisoning during a Thanksgiving dinner at Dan Ryan’s Chicago Grill restaurant in Tsim Sha Tsui.
Miguela Secolles had gone to the restaurant with her employer on Nov. 24 when she developed nausea and vomiting, news website hk01.com reports.
She was hospitalized for three days.
Secolles was one of dozens taken ill after eating a US-style dinner set which included grilled turkey, apple pie and pumpkin pie.
They were all taken to hospital and later discharged.
According to the police, the maid’s employer called for help on Dec. 1 after finding her unresponsive in bed, seven days after the dinner.
Officers who arrived at the scene confirmed she had been dead. They found nothing suspicious.
The Department of Health said the cause of death is pending investigation, adding that the Coroner’s Court is following up on the case.
The restaurant said it has always strictly maintained hygiene in preparing and handling food.
The turkey dish and pumpkin pie have been taken off the menu.
‘Food poisoning’ hits 12 diners at Dan Ryan’s restaurant in TST (Nov. 29, 2016)
- Contact us at [email protected]