Date
17 October 2017
White gas ignited on a man's clothes when he lit a cigarette. The victim was brought to Tuen Mun Hospital where he is in a stable condition. Photo: RTHK
White gas ignited on a man's clothes when he lit a cigarette. The victim was brought to Tuen Mun Hospital where he is in a stable condition. Photo: RTHK

Man suffers burns after lighter ignites white gas on clothes

A 44-year-old man suffered burns after he mistook naphtha, known as white gas, for wine that spilled on his clothes.

The gas ignited when he lit a cigarette, causing his clothes to burn, Headline Daily reports.

The man escaped serious injuries.

The accident took place at around 4 a.m. Wednesday when the victim, surnamed Chan, was drinking with his girlfriend in their Tin Yiu Estate flat in Tin Shui Wai, police said.

The man spilled some white gas on his clothes and mistook it for wine. He was said to be drunk at the time, according to investigators.

When he lit a cigarette, his clothes caught fire. His right arm and chest were burned.

He was sent to Tuen Mun Hospital where he is in a stable condition.

Police said the fire was triggered when sparks from the lighter came into contact with the white gas on the victim’s clothes.

They found nothing suspicious and listed the case as accidental injury, Apple Daily reports.

A medical doctor said white gas, which is used as fuel in lighters, is an organic compound that can cause vomiting when consumed.

Too much of it could cause delirium, even death.

– Contact us at [email protected]

TL/AC/RA

EJI Weekly Newsletter

Please click here to unsubscribe