A customer whose Xiaomi handset overheated and burned is complaining that she was asked to sign a confidentiality agreement before being able to collect a 600 yuan (US$86.25) payout.
The customer, surnamed Wang, said she bought the handset for her mother from JD.com in March.
When she charged it, the handset overheated and caught fire, am730 reports.
Wang said she never used third-party charging devices or cables, according to sina.com.hk.
Xiaomi staff later came over and took the burnt device away for inspection.
The handset manufacturer agreed to pay 1,299 yuan for the cost of the phone and an additional 600 yuan on condition Wang signed a confidentiality agreement not to disclose or discuss the incident with any mass media or online platforms, the report said.
Wang agreed, fearing she would end up without the extra compensation.
The incident came to light with the help of Beijing solicitor Zhang Xinnian,
Zhang said Xiaomi’s handling of the matter could be illegal under mainland contract law. He urged the authorities to investigate.
– Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org