Samsung Electronics has indicated that it may delay the launch of Galaxy S8 smartphones following a months-long investigation into the cause of fires in the company’s Note 7 devices.
Wrapping up a probe into the Note 7 debacle, the South Korean tech giant said on Monday that faulty batteries from two suppliers were to blame for the Note 7 fires, Reuters reports.
Procedures have been put in place to avoid a repeat of the fires as the firm prepares to launch the Galaxy S8, Samsung mobile chief Koh Dong-jin was quoted as saying.
“The lessons of this incident are deeply reflected in our culture and process,” Koh said at a press briefing in Seoul. “Samsung Electronics will be working hard to regain consumer trust.”
Koh said the Galaxy S8 will not be unveiled at the Mobile World Congress in Barcelona at end-February, the trade show that had been the traditional forum for Galaxy S series launches.
The executive did not comment on when the company plans to launch the handset, which would be Samsung’s first premium device since the Note 7′s demise.
Samsung’s reputation took a hammering after it announced a recall of fire-prone Note 7s, only for reports to emerge that replacement devices also caught fire.
The handset was withdrawn from sale in October less than two months after its launch, in one of the biggest failures in tech history, Reuters noted.
Investigations by internal and independent experts ruled out problems with the Note 7′s hardware and software.
Instead, they said the batteries, which came from two suppliers, featured different manufacturing defects or design flaws that caused them to short-circuit.
Samsung did not name the suppliers on Monday but previously identified them as affiliate Samsung SDI and China’s Amperex Technology.
Samsung said it accepts responsibility and that it will not take legal action against suppliers.
– Contact us at [email protected]