Date
24 September 2017
Following a disturbing incident involving a mentally challenged patient, Kong On Rehabilitation Centre has promised remedial measures. Photos: tvb.com, nowTV
Following a disturbing incident involving a mentally challenged patient, Kong On Rehabilitation Centre has promised remedial measures. Photos: tvb.com, nowTV

Care home worker arrested after video of male patient undressing

Police have arrested a female employee of residential care home in Mong Kok after a video showed a male patient at the facility being encouraged to undress in front of a woman and several staff.

The 36-year-old worker, surnamed Tsang, is suspected of filming the mentally challenged male patient as he undressed, a clip that later made its way online. 

According to reports, a disturbing incident took place at the Kong On Rehabilitation Centre for mentally disabled people last month. 

On Dec. 8, a female patient complained that she lost her ring and said she suspects that one of the male wards at the center had stolen the item.

When staff questioned the suspect, the mentally challenged man denied that he stole the ring.

As he agreed to be frisked, workers allegedly coaxed him into taking off all of his clothes right in front of the woman to prove his innocence.

The man took off all his clothes until he was left with only his underpants. And the whole process was captured on a mobile phone camera, apparently by Tsang.

In the 9-minute clip that Tsang is said to have forwarded to some people, bystanders could be heard laughing in the background.

After Ming Pao Daily received the clip and splashed the story Wednesday, police arrested Tsang in Tai Po.

Suspected of filming and circulating the clip, the worker was charged with “access to computer with criminal or dishonest intent”.

The Social Welfare Department claimed it learnt about the incident only on Jan. 22, news website am730 reports.

The department said it sent officials quickly to the care home for inspections and reported the matter to the police.

Follow-up actions will be taken to see if there was any violation of the Residential Care Homes (Persons with Disabilities) Ordinance, it said.

The Mong Kok center, which has about 20 patients under its care currently, has apologized to the victim and his family.

It said it has dismissed the employees involved in the incident and said more staff training will be conducted to make sure similar incidents do not happen again.

Ming Pao Daily, which was the first to reveal the existence of the video clip, reports that the female patient who complained of theft was taken back to her home by her family on Wednesday.

The woman claimed that she was told by some staff to keep silent over the December incident. Workers warned her that if she breaks the silence, it could land her into legal trouble and also put the care home at the risk of license revocation, according to the report.

As for the victim’s family, it has angrily denounced the center’s staff, accusing the workers of misconduct and failing to protect the patient’s privacy.

Labour Party lawmaker Fernando Cheung said the incident will heighten worries that private care homes lack professional paramedics in general, and that the facilities have low basic requirements set for their caretakers.

He called on the government to revise the related ordinance and enhance inspections.

– Contact us at [email protected]

TL/AC/RC

EJI Weekly Newsletter

Please click here to unsubscribe