Date
20 September 2017
Frederick Ma (fourth from right) says a joint fundraising with Tung Wah Group of Hospitals is in the works for the victims of the arson attack including Chang and Ko (insets). Photos: HKEJ, tvb.com
Frederick Ma (fourth from right) says a joint fundraising with Tung Wah Group of Hospitals is in the works for the victims of the arson attack including Chang and Ko (insets). Photos: HKEJ, tvb.com

MTR, staff to donate HK$2 mln to victims of arson attack

MTR chairman Frederick Ma said the company and its staff will donate HK$2 million (US$257,761) to victims of last week’s arson attack which injured 19 passengers, the Hong Kong Economic Journal reports.

A joint fundraising campaign with Tung Wah Group of Hospitals will also be launched, Ma said.

He said he will set up an eight-member committee comprising local and foreign experts to investigate the attack.

The attack happened at about 7:15 p.m. on Friday when a 60-year-old man, surnamed Cheung and said to be mentally ill, poured flammable liquid on himself and other passengers before starting a fire in a carriage on a Tsuen Wan line train headed for Tsim Sha Tsui from Admiralty station.

An initial report from a panel led by operations director Adi Lau and engineering chief Peter Ewen is expected in a month, Ma said.

As of early Tuesday morning, eight of the victims were still hospitalized, with two in critical condition, including Cheung and a 38-year-old Taiwanese female tourist surnamed Chang, who suffered second-degree burns but was conscious.

As Chang is not a Hong Kong resident, her family is struggling with high medical expenses for her treatment at Queen Elizabeth Hospital (QEH), which charges HK$23,000 a day for a patient under intensive care.

After discussions with the Taipei Economic and Cultural Office, the Social Welfare Department agreed to waive her medical expenses. Three Taiwan business groups in Hong Kong have also provided financial assistance of HK$10,000 each to her family .

Dr. Ho Hiu-fai, deputy chief executive of QEH, said Chang still needs intubation to help her breath. Up to 20 percent of her skin was burned, especially on the face.

However, Ho said a skin graft might not be necessary.

The decision regarding whether she will be transported back to Taiwan for treatment is left to her and her family, he said.

Meanwhile, the youngest victim, a 15-year-old girl surnamed Ko, a student at St. Paul’s Co-educational College, has seen her condition improve and has been moved to a general ward in Queen Mary Hospital from the intensive care unit, according to Apple Daily.

Cheung, who remains in critical condition, had his hearing adjourned to Friday.

– Contact us at [email protected]

TL/AC/RA

EJI Weekly Newsletter

Please click here to unsubscribe