A 38-year-old Taiwanese tourist who suffered second-degree burns from a firebomb attack on an MTR train earlier this month has returned to the island after her condition turned better.
Chang Hsin-ju, an instructor at Taiwan’s Chung Chou University of Science and Technology, left Queen Elizabeth Hospital on Thursday afternoon and proceeded to the airport for her flight back to the island, the Hong Kong Economic Journal reports.
There she will remain in a hospital to continue her treatment, the newspaper said.
Although still weak and covered in a blanket, Chang can now speak, her brother said, adding that they don’t know how much they will have to spend for her treatment until she recovers completely.
The Social Welfare Department has agreed to waive all of her medical expenses at Queen Elizabeth Hospital.
On behalf of Chang and her family, the Taipei Economic and Cultural Office expressed gratitude for the assistance provided by the Hong Kong government and the medical team.
A spokesperson for MTR Corp. said the company will continue discussions with Chang’s family over the compensation issue.
Its management has promised to do everything to help the victims of the Feb. 10 arson attack, in which 19 people were injured after a man surnamed Cheung set off a molotov cocktail inside an MTR train heading towards Tsim Sha Tsui.
Currently, five victims, one man and four women, remain in hospitals, but they are all in stable condition.
The youngest victim, a 15-year-old girl surnamed Ko who is a student at St. Paul’s Co-educational College, has just undergone debridement or removal of damaged skin tissues, Apple Daily reported.
Cheung, who has been charged with arson, is still in critical condition.
He was unable to appear on Wednesday at the Kowloon City Magistrates’ Court, which then adjourned the hearing of the case to next Monday.
– Contact us at [email protected]