Salvage operators in South Korea raised a ferry that sank nearly three years ago, killing 304 people, most of them children on a school trip, finally meeting the demands of mourning families.
The 6,800-ton ferry, the Sewol, was finally heaved to the surface of the water on Thursday as dozens of families of the victims watched from a nearby barge, according to Daily Mail.
A Chinese salvage company had fitted 33 beams beneath the hull, and on Wednesday the system was tested with 66 hydraulic jacks raising the hull one meter off the bottom, Reuters reported, citing the Ministry of Oceans and Fisheries.
The ferry was structurally unsound, overloaded and traveling too fast on a turn when it capsized and sank during a routine voyage on April 16, 2014, the news agency said.
It lay at a depth of 44 meters (144 feet), off the southwestern island of Jindo.
Of those killed, 250 were teenagers on a school trip, many of whom obeyed crew instructions to remain in their cabins even as crew members were escaping the sinking vessel.
Bereaved families had been calling for the ship to be raised and for a more thorough investigation into the disaster. Officials also hope to find the last nine missing bodies.
The disaster was a blot on former president Park Geun-hye’s record in office that she was never able to clear. Park was accused of failing to take decisive action after news broke that the ferry was in trouble.
She denied that, but she never fully explained what she was doing during the seven hours between the first news reports and her first television appearance that day.
Her response to the disaster was again raised in recent months after she came under suspicion in the course of an investigation into a corruption scandal that led to her dismissal from office on March 10.
The salvage cost about 85 billion won (US$75 million), a ministry official said.
– Contact us at email@example.com