Date
19 November 2017
Rescuers attend to a victim (Inset). The fire occurred in a second-floor flat when a portable power bank ignited after being charged overnight. Photos: tvb.com
Rescuers attend to a victim (Inset). The fire occurred in a second-floor flat when a portable power bank ignited after being charged overnight. Photos: tvb.com

Flat catches fire from overheated power bank

A dozen people were injured and more than 100 evacuated after a fire believed to have been caused by an overheated mobile charger broke out in a public housing estate in Tin Shui Wai.

Police said the fire was triggered by a mobile power bank which ignited after being charged overnight, the Hong Kong Economic Journal reports.

The incident was reported at about 7 a.m. Saturday after fire and heavy smoke were seen coming out of a second-floor flat in Yat Chi House in Tin Yan Estate.

Firemen rushed to the scene and evacuated dozens of residents. They put out the fire about an hour later.

Twelve people were injured.

The 48-year-old owner of the flat, surnamed Lui, suffered serious burns and was sent to an intensive care unit inf North District Hospital, where he is in stable condition, according to Sing Tao Daily.

Two young girls, aged 10 and 12, who lived next door to Lui were in critical condition in Tuen Mun Hospital. They had been rescued by firemen after being trapped in their flat.

Firemen found the charred remains of a portable charger from Lui’s flat which was heavily damaged.

Investigators found nothing suspicious.

– Contact us at [email protected]

TL/AC/RA

EJI Weekly Newsletter

Please click here to unsubscribe