Date
23 September 2017
The robbery took place at a hotel in Mong Kok during which two mainlanders lost 6.71 million yuan. Google Maps
The robbery took place at a hotel in Mong Kok during which two mainlanders lost 6.71 million yuan. Google Maps

Mainlanders lose 6.71 mln yuan to knife-wielding gangsters

Police are looking for five men who robbed two mainlanders of 6.71 million yuan at a hotel in Mong Kok.

An accomplice has been arrested, Apple Daily reports.

The victims, both in their twenties, told the police that they had been robbed by knife-wielding men at a hotel on Sai Yee Street. The two are in Hong Kong on two-way permits.

They said they had come to set up a money transfer business.

As they met with two locals in the hotel to discuss details, the suspects arrived and threatened them with knives, demanding money.

They were held with knives to their throats until they agreed to wire the money through a mobile phone to a designated bank account in the mainland, according to investigators.  

The two locals and four robbers — believed to be South Asian and Chinese — fled the scene after getting what they wanted.

A manhunt by the police led to the arrest of an accomplice in Hung Hom on Monday night, news website hk01.com reported.

The crime unit of the Mong Kok Police District, which is in charge of the case, is trying to identify the five gangsters on the loose by checking footage from security cameras.

- Contact us at [email protected]

TL/AC/RA

EJI Weekly Newsletter

Please click here to unsubscribe