Date
28 July 2017
Firefighters survey the damage of the gas explosion that hit a restaurant in To Kwa Wan on Wednesday. Photo: RTHK
Firefighters survey the damage of the gas explosion that hit a restaurant in To Kwa Wan on Wednesday. Photo: RTHK

Four injured in gas explosion at To Kwa Wan restaurant

A cha chaan teng (tea restaurant) in To Kwa Wan was hit by a gas explosion on Wednesday morning, leaving four injured, including two in critical condition.

The incident took place at about 6:30 a.m., when the restaurant on Cheung Ning Street had just opened for business.

By the time firemen arrived at the scene, there was no more fire but the explosion had left the place severely damaged.

Even the windows of several vehicles parked nearby were shattered as a result of the blast.

Four people were rescued from the wreckage, including a 57-year-old cook, the woman who owns the restaurant and two customers.

The cook, who was later transferred to the intensive care unit of Prince of Wales Hospital, and a customer were in critical condition, while the other two only suffered minor injuries.

Two liquefied petroleum gas cylinders weighing about 16 kilograms each were found intact in the restaurant. They were connected to three stoves.

The Electrical and Mechanical Services Department suspected there could have been leak from the LPG cylinders right before the incident.

It urged people to turn off stoves when not in use, open as many windows as possible, and refrain from using phones or turning on any power switch as soon as they detect a gas leak.

– Contact us at [email protected]

TL/RT/CG

EJI Weekly Newsletter

Please click here to unsubscribe