Eight people in Macau have been reported dead and dozens injured after Typhoon Hato devastated the tiny enclave on Wednesday.
Hato made landfall in nearby Zhuhai after prompting the No. 10 hurricane signal in Macau, the highest in its storm warning system, for the first time in 18 years.
At a press conference on Wednesday night, the Macau government said five people had been killed and 153 injured. There were 236 storm-related incidents, hk01.com reports.
Two people were plucked from a parking lot in Classic Bay between 3:45 a.m. and 4:15 a.m. on Thursday. Both were rushed to hospital and were later reported dead.
It was understood that they got stranded by the sudden influx of water soon after they parked their cars and were ready to leave.
Meanwhile, video clips showed water pouring into the parking lot in Grandeur Heights, looking like a small waterfall.
The water level almost reached the parking lot’s 2.2-meter height limit.
Flooding was also reported in Rua de João de Araújo.
Macau Chief Executive Fernando Chui Sai-on said Typhoon Hato was the most severe to hit the city in 53 years.
He said the government will do its best to restore water and electricity supply to help residents return to normal life.
– Contact us at [email protected]