Date
17 October 2017
Ocean Park is cooperating with authorities on an investigation into a deadly accident at a Halloween-themed attraction. Photos: HKEJ, i-Cable News
Ocean Park is cooperating with authorities on an investigation into a deadly accident at a Halloween-themed attraction. Photos: HKEJ, i-Cable News

Ocean Park haunted house attraction closed after fatal incident

Ocean Park has been ordered to close its Halloween-themed haunted house attraction temporarily as authorities investigate a fatal accident that took place at the facility over the weekend.

On Saturday, a 21-year-old man died after a coffin crashed into him while he was wandering in a backstage area. 

The victim, a person surnamed Cheung, came to Ocean Park with a female companion and several other friends when the incident took place inside the “Buried Alive” attraction.

Buried Alive consists of eight slides, each of which is about 4.5 meters long and 2.5 meters high and is equipped with a coffin for guests to lie in and slide down from the upper floor to the lower floor full of zombies.

At about 2 pm, Cheung, who was a freshman at the Chinese University of Hong Kong, went into one of the coffins and took the slide.

He failed to return after a while, prompting his girlfriend to get worried.

When staff was alerted, they began an inspection inside the house. To their shock, they found him lying unconscious in the backstage area, Apple Daily reports.

It is suspected that a slide malfunctioned, sending a coffin crashing into the backstage area where Cheung had walked into by mistake after he completed his own ride.

The young man was rushed to a hospital, where he subsequently died due to his injuries.

According to the police, Cheung was caught by security cameras walking around inside the house after he got out of the coffin. He was deemed to have entered an area for maintenance workers only by mistake.

As he was wandering in the area, a coffin fell from above and hit him in the head, knocking him down.

Following the accident, the haunted house was ordered to close immediately to enable an inspection by staff from the government’s Electrical and Mechanical Services Department (EMSD).

The department said after the inspection that no mechanical failure was involved in the tragedy, according to reports.

Ocean Park, meanwhile, said it will fully cooperate with the investigation.

The Buried Alive attraction had passed a comprehensive examination by the EMSD before it was opened, the theme park said.

Cheung’s family is expected to get compensation as the park buys third-party insurance for all of its visitors.

Ocean Park began the haunted house attractions since 2001 to celebrate the Halloween festival that falls on October 31.

There had been no fatal accidents involving those facilities prior to Saturday’s incident.

- Contact us at [email protected]

TL/JC/RC

EJI Weekly Newsletter

Please click here to unsubscribe