A 62-year-old pest control worker died after falling from the roof of a building in Whampoa Garden in Hung Hom on Thursday morning, Apple Daily reports.
The victim, Lee Sai-wan, lived in Sheung Shui with his wife and 18-year-old daughter and was employed by a pest control company, according to hk01.com.
Lee was about to spray pesticide on a sewage opening when he tripped and fell from the 16th floor. There were no railings on the roof of the building except stone curbs about a foot tall.
Lee was working with two others when he lost his balance and fell, hitting a scaffolding. His colleagues immediately called the police. Paramedics pronounced him dead at the scene.
Lee was seen wearing a safety harness but it is not known if it was strapped on at the time of the accident.
After a preliminary investigation, police said there were no suspicious circumstances. The case was classified as industrial accident.
Employees from the management company of Whampoa Garden refused to comment.
A colleague of Lee’s told Apple Daily that although Lee’s daughter is working, the family is financially unstable.
According to a pest control expert, rooftop sprays are generally performed once a month to ensure that sewage openings do not become breeding grounds for pests.
A spokesperson for the Labour Department said a suspension notice has been issued to Lee’s employer to stop work on the premises.
A spokesperson for the Association for the Rights of Industrial Accident Victims said it is the employer’s responsibility to ensure safety belts and the necessary equipment are used to protect workers.
- Contact us at [email protected]