Date
21 November 2017
More than 100 firefighters were deployed after a fire broke out at the Kai Tak Factory Building in San Po Kong on Thursday. Photo: RTHK
More than 100 firefighters were deployed after a fire broke out at the Kai Tak Factory Building in San Po Kong on Thursday. Photo: RTHK

Firemen battle for 8 hours to put out blaze at San Po Kong

A major fire broke out at an industrial building in San Po Kong on Thursday, causing anxious moments for people living in the area but fortunately there were no serious injuries or casualties.

Shortly after noon, emergency crews received a call informing them of a blaze at the Kai Tak Factory Building that is located along King Fuk Street. 

More than 100 firefighters rushed to the scene and battled the blaze at the 13-storey building that was built over 50 years ago. 

It took the crews almost eight hours to put out what has now been classified as a third-alarm blaze.

According to Apple Daily, the fire was believed to have been caused by a faulty air purifier inside a stage production house that was occupying a section of the second floor of the industrial estate. 

A 26-year-old female worker first became aware of the fire after she smelt something burning. She attempted to put out the fire along with a 20-year-old male colleague but failed.

They then called the police and evacuated the building.

The fire spread quickly as there were large amounts of highly inflammable materials such as polystyrene, fabric, plastics, and wood at the scene.

The building was not equipped with an automated sprinkler system, which made the work of the firemen more difficult.

The Fire Services Department quickly raised the alarm level of the fire to three after the blaze had spread at 1:45 pm.

More than 700 students and teachers at Cognitio College, which is right opposite the factory building, had to be evacuated amidst the smoke.

Firemen kept pumping water into the building. Almost all the people who came out from the premises were seen with their faces covered in black soot.

The scaffolding and another unit next to the building were affected, but luckily the fire was put out in time and did not spread to any other buildings.

The Home Affairs Department’s Wong Tai Sin Public Enquiry Service Center set up a support station for residents nearby who needed help.

Traffic became very congested as the street between Sam Chuk Street and Tseuk Luk Street, and the only traffic lane that connected to King Fuk Street, were completely sealed off for safety reasons.

The fire slowly came under control at about 7:30 pm and was completely put out at around 8 pm.

Wong Hau-on, a fire division officer of the Kowloon Central district, said they are conducting an investigation into the incident.

As of now, there is nothing to suggest any foul play or arson.

The area that had been burnt was around 4,500 square feet in size and had been filled with highly flammable material, enclosed in small, compact spaces, making the fire-fighting task difficult.

- Contact us at [email protected]

EL/BN/RC

EJI Weekly Newsletter

Please click here to unsubscribe