Date
15 August 2018
A suspect is led to the scene of an investigation after being arrested for suspected involvement in the murder of a man whose body was found dumped at a construction site earlier this month. Photo: Screen shot of Now News video
A suspect is led to the scene of an investigation after being arrested for suspected involvement in the murder of a man whose body was found dumped at a construction site earlier this month. Photo: Screen shot of Now News video

Seven arrested after corpse found at bridge construction site

Seven people were arrested over the weekend in connection with the murder of a man whose body was found at a construction site in Tung Chung earlier this month. 

Five men and two women, aged 24 to 59, were taken into custody on Saturday from various locations, namely Hung Hom, Mong Kok, Aberdeen, Tuen Mun and Lai Chi Kok, the police said.

The arrests came in the wake of an investigation after a man was found dead, his body wrapped in a black plastic bag, on May 4 at a construction site of the Hong Kong-Zhuhai-Macao Bridge.

The deceased was later identified as a 30-year-old surnamed Siu.

Following an in-depth probe, the police determined that the crime actually took place at a flat located along Tung Choi Street in Mong Kok.

The dead person was believed to have had a dispute with multiple people, including the arrested, before he was killed by a blunt object.

At a news conference on Sunday, a senior police officer, Wesly Tse Tan-sang, told reporters that the victim and the suspects all have a background in organized crime and that they all have a habit of drug consumption.

According to the police, not all of the arrested people had participated in the attack on Siu, with some just having only indirect links to the murder.

The victim was said to have had multiple criminal records, including drug trafficking, theft, robbery, criminal intimidation and probation violation.

On Sunday, police laid a holding charge against five of the suspects, charging them with conspiracy to murder, while the other two were released on bail, according to RTHK.

The Regional Crime Unit of New Territories South is still investigating the case as it believes there are other suspects on the run.

– Contact us at [email protected]

TL/JC/RC

EJI Weekly Newsletter

Please click here to unsubscribe