Police have launched an investigation into a burglary at a luxury mansion belonging to the family of the late property tycoon Cheng Yu-tung, founder of New World Development.
This is the second time that the mansion on Repulse Bay Road, where some of Hong Kong’s wealthy people and celebrities live, was burglarized in less than two years.
According to a source, a housekeeper at the residence called the police sometime before 6 a.m. on Thursday after seeing signs that the master room on the first floor had been ransacked.
Initial investigation showed that at least 10 gold jewelry items and HK$30,000 in cash were stolen from the unoccupied room, the Hong Kong Economic Journal reports. Police listed the incident as burglary.
It is understood that Cheng’s widow was at home during the burglary, although not at the master room, The Standard said. No one was reported injured.
The break-in at the mansion was reported in August 2016, when some decorative gold items were said to have been taken away. At the time, Henry Cheng Kar-shun, Cheng Yu-tung’s eldest son, told media that he would bolster security at the property to prevent another burglary.
Henry Cheng, the current chairman of New World Development, claimed the items stolen at the time were not really worth a lot.
Cheng Yu-tung died later than year at the age of 91. He was ranked by Forbes as Hong Kong’s third-richest man at the time.
The mansion, named Estrellita, covers an area of more than 60,000 square feet with a garden, a tennis court and a swimming pool, according to The Standard.
– Contact us at [email protected]