The Civil Human Rights Front (CHRF) will announce next week the venue of the July 1 pro-democracy march after the traditional starting point of the mass action, Victoria Park’s football pitches, had been reserved for pro-Beijing groups marking the anniversary of the city’s return to China for the second straight year.
Police have suggested that the pro-democracy activists assemble at the park’s lawn, but organizers said the area was not ideal for the march because of the limited space and the unstable weather.
The CHRF is discussing with the police the feasibility of using the East Point Road pedestrian zone instead.
“We will consider anywhere but the lawn,” the organizers said.
Police are worried that the pedestrian zone may not be enough to accommodate the marchers and insisted on the Victoria Park lawn.
The CHRF, however, noted that most of the protesters will be joining the march along the route, adding that organizers will strengthen crowd management.
It also suggested the junction of Jardine’s Bazaar and Hennessy Road and other alternatives as the starting point. Police said they will respond next week.
Lawmaker Au Nok-hin, deputy convener of CHRF, said it would be ridiculous for the police to reject all the organizers’ suggestions.
Sammy Ip Chi-hin, the Front’s convener, said they would insist on starting off at East Point Road if all their other suggestions are turned down.
– Contact us at [email protected]