None of the widely used USB travel adaptors tested by the Consumer Council passed safety tests, exposing users to the risks of short circuits and even electric shocks, the watchdog said.
Using the latest British and international standards, the council rated the 10 samples on safety, performance and ease of use.
On a scale of one to five points, the samples only obtained 1.5 to 3.5 points.
“The quality of all samples was on the whole unsatisfactory,” the council said. “In particular, immediate improvement is needed to address the safety problem.”
The samples had a price range of HK$78 to HK$460, including two of most expensive ones sold on airlines.
All the ten models obtained 1.5 to 4 points on safety. The common defects were insufficient insulation, high risks of short-circuiting, and non-compliant plug pins.
Such defects could lead to poor electrical connection and affect electrical operations, the watchdog said.
It also found that safety labels and warnings, such as “Does Not Convert Voltage” and “For Use With Unearthed Appliances Only”, were missing from the tested models.
In the worst cases, some adaptors had unused but charged plug pin that would pose the risk of electric shock if touched.
The council has forwarded the test results to the Electrical and Mechanical Services Department (EMSD).
The EMSD had earlier warned the public of the risks that such products and suggested that consumers stop using them altogether, especially for charging devices overnight.
– Contact us at [email protected]