Date
11 December 2018
The XPower charger that caught fire  was produced in the mainland in 2015 but its production has stopped since 2016. Photo: Internet
The XPower charger that caught fire was produced in the mainland in 2015 but its production has stopped since 2016. Photo: Internet

Man suffers burns after mobile charger bursts into flames

A Chinese-made power bank with a Hong Kong brand caught fire while being charged in the wee hours of Wednesday, causing its owner to suffer burns to his finger and face.

The incident took place inside a flat at Oi Tai House, which is one of the buildings of Fu Tai Estate, a public rental housing estate in Tuen Mun, Apple Daily reports.

According to the 25-year-old victim, he left his XPower mobile power bank charging on a nightstand before he went to bed.

At around 1 a.m., he was roused from sleep by a high-pitched, squeaking noise coming from the charger.

He got up and saw the charger in flames with heavy smoke coming out of it.

Shocked, he grabbed the quilt on his bed and used it to put out the fire.

The effort was successful, but the bedspread was left with a big hole.

His right thumb was burned and the lower left side of his face also sustained a minor burn.

His father called the police for help and sent him to hospital for treatment.

The young man said he had bought the mobile charger a year ago. He said it was his second XPower device, having been fully satisfied with the performance of the first one. He said the fire was totally unexpected.

Founded in 2014, XPower was one of the winners of the Hong Kong Emerging Brand awards in 2016. Its main products include mobile charger, USB charger, wireless charger and charging cable.

In response to the incident, the supplier of XPower products said the charger in question was in fact produced in China in 2015 but its production has stopped since 2016.

More than 10,000 units of the product have been sold so far with no report of having figured in an accident until now.

The young man said he had contacted XPower, which promised to offer monetary compensation for his injuries, including paying for his medical expenses, the cost of replacing the burnt furniture, and wage loss resulting from his being unable to work due to burns.

– Contact us at [email protected]

TL/JC/CG

EJI Weekly Newsletter

Please click here to unsubscribe