Date
21 September 2018
Workers in protective suits are seen by a truck at a plant of a pork processor in Zhengzhou, Henan province last month following a discovery that some pigs were hit by African swine fever. Photo: CNS via Reuters
Workers in protective suits are seen by a truck at a plant of a pork processor in Zhengzhou, Henan province last month following a discovery that some pigs were hit by African swine fever. Photo: CNS via Reuters

China confirms sixth African swine fever outbreak

Chinese authorities said on Sunday that 134 hogs had died from African swine fever in Xuancheng city in the eastern Anhui province, bringing the total number of outbreaks in China over the past month to six, Reuters reports.

Xuancheng city is around 70 kilometers southeast of Wuhu city, where another African swine fever case in Anhui was reported last week.

Live hogs and animals that can be easily infected and products from them are banned from being transported into and outside the infected area, China’s agriculture ministry was quoted as saying.

China culled more than 38,000 hogs as of Sept. 1 due to African swine fever outbreaks.

Culling has basically been completed in Liaoning, Henan, Jiangsu and Zhejiang provinces, where a total of 37,271 hogs were killed, while another 1,264 hogs were put down by Saturday in Anhui province, according to authorities.

Live hogs from provinces with outbreaks are banned from being transported outside and live hog markets in those provinces will be shut, the ministry said.

Live hogs from unaffected provinces cannot be transported through infected provinces.

The ministry said last Wednesday that it cannot rule out the possibility of new swine fever outbreaks in the country, which is home to the world’s largest hog population.

– Contact us at [email protected]

RC

EJI Weekly Newsletter

Please click here to unsubscribe