The government has received a total of 14,799 reports of fallen trees in the aftermath of Super Typhoon Mangkhut as of Tuesday night, the Hong Kong Economic Journal reports.
That was 10 times the number reported as of Monday, the Development Bureau said, adding that authorities are doing their utmost to remove them as soon as possible.
Some of the tree branches, which had been broken at the height of the storm’s fury on Sunday, fell off on Tuesday, hitting at least six buses with one male passenger injured as a result.
Three workers were rushed to the hospital after they were injured when iron fences collapsed at Regency Park, a private residential estate in Kwai Chung, as they were clearing debris on the ground.
The bureau said cleanup operations are focusing on removing fallen trees, which pose a danger to the public, in order to allow road traffic to return to normal.
It has been suggested that the fallen trees be recycled instead of being discarded.
But the bureau said most of the trees will end up in landfills, noting that frontline workers cannot segregate those that could be replanted or recycled while clearing up the roads at the same time.
Kowloon Motor Bus was still unable to serve seven of its routes as of 6 a.m. on Wednesday, and Citybus and New World First Bus had suspended service for 12 of its routes as of 12:30 p.m., because of blocked roads.
The Hong Kong & Kowloon Life Guards’ Union urged the authorities to clean all public swimming pools thoroughly as many of them cannot be used because of miscellaneous objects blown into the facilities by the typhoon.
In a post on its Facebook page, the union said it has received reports of glass shards found in swimming pools in Yuen Long, Tin Shui Wai and Tung Chung, among other places.
At least one swimmer was reportedly injured as a result, the union was quoted as saying.
However, the Leisure and Cultural Services Department said the swimmer in question suffered no obvious cuts but only stepped on a hard object in the pool, adding that the person required no medical treatment.
CLP Power, one of Hong Kong’s two power utilities, said about 1,500 of its customers were still without electricity as of midnight Tuesday, compared with 40,000 as of Sunday.
The power company expects electricity supply to resume for most of the affected customers by late Wednesday, while about 200 households in the outlying islands, such as Kat O and Ap Chau, will have to wait longer.
– Contact us at [email protected]