Date
15 December 2018
Police officers and firefighters arrive at a students' dormitory of the Hong Kong Baptist University where a fire broke out in the early hours of Thursday. Photo: HKBU/TVB News
Police officers and firefighters arrive at a students' dormitory of the Hong Kong Baptist University where a fire broke out in the early hours of Thursday. Photo: HKBU/TVB News

12 students hurt in fire at HKBU dorm; flour seen as culprit

Twelve students were injured when a fire broke out in a dormitory at the Hong Kong Baptist University in Kowloon Tong in the wee hours of Thursday.

Firefighters said initial investigation led them to suspect that flour thrown in the air while candles were burning during a birthday party at the dorm could have started the blaze, the Hong Kong Economic Journal reports.

The victims, including eight female students, were aged between 18 and 23. They were taken to Queen Elizabeth Hospital and Kwong Wah Hospital.

One was seriously injured and transferred to Prince of Wales Hospital. Five were in stable condition while the rest were discharged after treatment.

A spokesman for the university expressed concern over the incident and said staff were sent to the hospitals to provide assistance to the injured students.

According to witnesses, nearly 20 students were attending a birthday party in the activity room of the dorm when someone threw flour into the air.

The flour came into contact with the flames of the lighted birthday candles, thereby causing the flame to spread rapidly across the room.

The Fire Services Department also said initial investigation supported the theory that the blaze resulted from the flour thrown in the air.

In June 2015, 15 people died and 500 others were injured after colored powder sprayed on the crowd caught fire during a party at a water park in Taiwan’s New Taipei City.

– Contact us at [email protected]

TL/JC/CG

EJI Weekly Newsletter

Please click here to unsubscribe