North Korea called on the United States to “withdraw its hostile policy” towards Pyongyang, warning that failure to do so would render agreements made at a landmark summit in Singapore a year ago “a blank sheet of paper”.
“The arrogant and unilateral US policy will never work on [North Korea], which values sovereignty,” state news agency KCNA said on Tuesday, Reuters reports.
A four-point joint statement signed by US President Donald Trump and North Korean leader Kim Jong-un on June 12 last year pledging to work towards a new relationship “is in danger of being a blank sheet of paper because the US is turning a blind eye to its implementation”, KCNA warned.
“ … now is the time for the US to withdraw its hostile policy concerning the DPRK,” it said.
The statement, echoing a similar warning last week, reflects the stalemate since a second summit between US President Donald Trump and North Korean leader Kim Jong Un in Hanoi in February collapsed, Reuters noted.
The Hanoi summit broke down over US demands for North Korea’s denuclearization and North Korean demands for sanctions relief.
South Korean President Moon Jae-in said on Monday he believes talks between North and South Korea and between the North and the United States would resume soon.
Talks were underway about a third summit between North Korea and the United States, “so I don’t think it’s a situation that needs a third country’s arrangement”, Moon said during a state visit to Finland.
Trump said last week he looks forward to seeing Kim at the appropriate time.
Trump and US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo will attend the G20 summit in Japan later this month and will then visit South Korea to meet Moon and coordinate efforts for the final, fully verified denuclearization of North Korea, a State Department spokeswoman said on Monday.
– Contact us at [email protected]