Top representatives from the United States and China are arranging to resume talks next week as they seek to resolve the trade dispute between the two nations, Reuters reports, citing Trump administration officials.
“Those talks will continue in earnest this coming week,” White House Economic Adviser Larry Kudlow was quoted as saying in a media briefing on Wednesday.
An official from the Office of the US Trade Representative said later that the two sides were in the process of scheduling a principal-level phone call with Chinese officials for next week.
The principal negotiators on Washington’s team are US Trade Representative Robert Lighthizer and Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin, while China’s top negotiator is Vice Premier Liu He.
The two sides have already been in communication by phone since last weekend, when US President Donald Trump and Chinese President Xi Jinping agreed to relaunch talks that had stalled in May.
Talks broke down after US officials accused China of pulling back from commitments it had made previously in the text of an agreement that negotiators said was nearly finished.
Both countries have levied tariffs on the other, but Trump made two major concessions at the meeting with Xi to get talks started again. He agreed not to put tariffs on some US$300 billion in additional Chinese imports and to loosen restrictions on Chinese technology company Huawei.
The United States has 25 percent tariffs now on US$250 billion of Chinese goods ranging from semi-conductors to furniture.
“We’ve been accommodative. We will not lift tariffs during the talks,” Kudlow said. “We are hoping that China will toe its end of it by purchasing a good many of American imports.”
– Contact us at [email protected]