Date
22 October 2019
Rally organizer Max Chung said the event in Yuen Long on Saturday will be peaceful and orderly. Photo: HKEJ
Rally organizer Max Chung said the event in Yuen Long on Saturday will be peaceful and orderly. Photo: HKEJ

Protesters set march in Yuen Long to demand probe into attacks

A huge march is scheduled to be held in Yuen Long this Saturday to denounce the brutal attacks on anti-extradition bill protesters and other citizens at the MTR station in the district on July 21 and the slow response of the police, which resulted in dozens injured.

Max Chung kin-ping, who said he is a Yuen Long resident, went to the district’s police station at noon on Tuesday to apply for a letter of no objection for the march, but some villagers gathered at the scene to ask that the application be denied, the Hong Kong Economic Journal reports.

The main purpose of the rally is to respond to Sunday’s violent incident in Yuen Long, Chung said, adding that participants will pursue their demand for the government to establish an independent commission of inquiry to look into the Yuen Long attack as well as other violent clashes between protesters and the police.

He said the rally will also ask the government to respond favorably to the people’s demand for the now-suspended extradition bill to be withdrawn altogether.

According to Chung’s application, the march will begin at the Shui Pin Tsuen Playground at 4:30 p.m. on Saturday and end at the Yuen Long MTR Station via the main road. A rally that will then be held at the public transport interchange, which is expected to last until midnight.

Chung said in the application, he wrote down “369″ as the expected turnout for the protest at the moment; the number contains a message. (In local popular culture, 369 is used to describe police officers who oppress the poor.)

Chung assured that the rally will be peaceful, rational and orderly. At least 100 volunteers will be assigned to maintain order.

Marchers who will not take part in the ensuing rally will be asked to leave via the MTR West Rail.

Chung revealed the main concern of the police was local traffic situation and Light Rail arrangements, adding that he would meet with them again at 5 p.m. on Wednesday for further discussions, RTHK reported.

In related news, police arrested five more men on Tuesday in connection with the Yuen Long attacks, bringing the total number of arrested suspects to 11 so far.

Most of those arrested, aged between 24 and 54, are Yuen Long residents while some have triad backgrounds, according to the police.

Kenneth Lau Ip-keung, chairman of the statutory advisory body Heung Yee Kuk, denied that he had prior knowledge of the June 21 attacks, adding that he has always been against violence.

Speaking in a radio program on Tuesday, Council Front lawmaker Eddie Chu Hoi-dick said there was “fake news” spreading shortly before the attacks that the pan-democratic camp was allegedly planning to stir up trouble in Yuen Long, and that someone got gangsters involved to derail the plan.

Chu then asked if that “someone” was actually Beijing’s Liaison Office, which could be behind the incident.

Meanwhile, a group from the aviation industry plans to stage a peaceful rally at the Arrival Hall of Terminal 1 of the Hong Kong International Airport on Friday, and will file an application for a letter of no objection from the police.

The Cathay Pacific Airways Flight Attendants Union said the rally is aimed at asking the government to respond favorably to the five demands made by the public.

– Contact us at [email protected]

TL/JC/CG