Macau confirmed on Wednesday its first case of pneumonia linked to an outbreak of a newly identified coronavirus that has killed nine people in mainland China.
The case involves a 52-year-old Wuhan businesswoman who reported to a Macau hospital on Tuesday, Reuters reports, citing Macau’s Secretary for Social Affairs and Culture Ao Leong Lu.
The woman was said to have taken a high-speed train to the Chinese city of Zhuhai on Jan 19, and then a shuttle bus to Macau. She had dinner with two friends, then went to the hotel and spent a long time in casinos.
She is in stable condition in an isolation ward after reporting to a hospital with flu-like symptoms. Her two friends are also being monitored and are in isolation.
Following the case, Macau authorities said they are coordinating with the gaming enterprises in the city to introduce temperature screening machines at all entrances into casinos.
A total of 405 guest entrances and 47 staff entrances have already been provided with portable screening devices and all casino staff have to wear surgical masks.
All performers and staff at the events hosted across Macau will be screened.
Entry points into Macau will also have temperature checks and visitors will be asked to fill in a health declaration form. Bus stops, taxi stands and wet markets will be cleaned more frequently.
The moves came as the death toll from the flu-like coronavirus in China rose to nine on Wednesday with 440 confirmed cases.
The virus, originating in Wuhan at the end of last year, has spread to Chinese cities including Beijing and Shanghai, as well as the United States, Thailand, South Korea, Japan and Taiwan.
– Contact us at [email protected]