An unexploded home-made bomb was found in a rubbish bin at the Shenzhen Bay Control Point on Tuesday morning.
It was the third case of suspected explosives reported in the past two days, although none of them had resulted in casualties.
A security guard stationed at a building inside the border checkpoint heard a loud noise resembling an explosion at around 10:30 a.m. before the police were called, the Hong Kong Economic Journal reports.
Responding police officers, including members of the Explosive Ordnance Disposal Bureau, and firefighters arrived soon and cordoned off the scene before launching a search.
An object believed to be a home-made bomb and a device that could be remotely controlled by a mobile phone to set it off were later found inside a trash bin in a men’s toilet at the arrivals hall.
Police did not find other explosive devices in the building and surrounding areas, and ended the search at around 4 p.m.
Senior Superintendent Steve Li Kwai-wah of the Organized Crime and Triad Bureau (OCTB) told media that it had been the third discovery of an explosive device since Monday.
At around 2:30 a.m. on Monday, an explosion occurred inside a men’s toilet at the Accident and Emergency Department of Caritas Medical Centre. There were no injuries.
Then at 10:20 p.m., a public toilet for the disabled on Jordan Road was seriously damaged after an explosion triggered a big fire. No one was hurt in the incident.
Senior bomb disposal officer Alick McWhirter said the bombs set off on Monday were similar: they burned first before exploding.
The third bomb found at the control point on Monday was remote-controlled and more highly explosive, McWhirter said, noting that it could have caused serious injuries or even death had it exploded.
Meanwhile, a message on one of instant messenger service Telegram’s channels appeared to claim responsibility for the bomb found at the Shenzhen Bay border control point on Tuesday afternoon.
Calling the incident only the beginning, the message demanded that the government close the city’s borders to prevent the spread of the coronavirus from the mainland, otherwise, there will be more actions of destruction, including those aimed at railway and roads linking with the mainland.
Li said the OCTB will investigate all of the three bomb cases. So far, the culprits are yet unknown, and it is not clear if a single group is responsible for the three incidents, he added.
– Contact us at [email protected]