Date
26 February 2020
The 25-year-old man was discharged from Princess Margaret Hospital on Wednesday. Photo: Bloomberg
The 25-year-old man was discharged from Princess Margaret Hospital on Wednesday. Photo: Bloomberg

Coronavirus-infected patient discharged from hospital

A 25-year-old man who contracted the novel coronavirus (Covid-19) was discharged from Princess Margaret Hospital on Wednesday after tests showed that he has recovered from the disease.

He became the first Covid-19 patient in Hong Kong to be discharged from hospital, the Hong Kong Economic Journal reports.

The man, who is the 18th confirmed Covid-19 patient in the city, developed a fever on Jan. 28, followed by coughing, runny nose and diarrhea, and was admitted to Prince of Wales Hospital on Feb. 3.

After his respiratory sample tested positive for the novel coronavirus, he was transferred to Princess Margaret Hospital for treatment. He had been in stable condition since.

The patient then tested negative for the virus twice and had been clinically stable, thereby meeting the conditions for discharge, the Hospital Authority (HA) said.

In a press conference on Wednesday afternoon, Dr. Sara Ho Yuen-ha, HA chief manager for patient safety and risk management, said the patient had taken two types of anti-viral drugs used to treat the severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS), namely Ribavirin and Kaletra, and some other drugs to alleviate his upper respiratory tract infection.

Ho said he will have to return for more blood tests in a week’s time and follow-up consultation to check whether he still feels unwell.

As to whether the man needs to be quarantined further, Ho said he was only advised to avoid going out in the streets and wear a face mask whenever he leaves his residence, the same advice given to the general public.

The man’s discharge conforms with international standards, Ho added.

As of 8 p.m. on Wednesday, Hong Kong has 50 confirmed cases of Covid-19 infection, including the latest one that was reported on Wednesday.

According to sources, there is an additional case of the novel coronavirus at Tuen Mun Hospital. The 43-year-old man is said to be a relative of a 66-year-old patient designated as the 47th case.

Ho said 42 of the confirmed cases still under treatment remained in stable condition and several of them could be discharged in the next few days. Four other patients were critical and another two serious.

– Contact us at [email protected]

TL/JC/CG