Maxim's fined HK$8,000 after dead cockroach found in food

July 21, 2015 13:39
Jade Garden has promised to improve its sanitation after a dead cockroach was found in a serving of  shrimp balls. Photos: Internet

Maxim’s Group has been fined HK$8,000 (US$1,032.11) after a cockroach was found in a plate of Sichuan-style shrimp balls served by its Jade Garden Chinese restaurant in Star House, Tsim Sha Tsui. 

The company pleaded guilty to a charge of serving food that contains substance inconsistent with buyer’s expectation, Apple Daily reported Tuesday.

The case stemmed from an incident on July 27, 2014, when a woman found a dead cockroach served along with the shrimp balls she ordered at the restaurant.

She filed a complaint to the restaurant management and the Food and Environmental Hygiene Department.

Maxim’s lawyer asked for leniency from the judge, saying it was first time that such a case happened since the company opened 44 years ago. The company said it has also strengthened sanitation management.

The judge said Maxim’s is a large company that should be more capable than its smaller competitors in dealing with hygiene issues, adding that it was not the first time the group was accused of such violations.

Maxim’s expressed deep regrets over what happened and promised to improve sanitation and hygiene in its operations.

Maxim’s unit fined HK$7,000 for cockroach found in food (April 15, 2015)

-- Contact us at [email protected]