Irish oysters banned after 21 come down with food poisoning

February 26, 2016 13:48
Irish oysters are shown in Anchor's Seafood and Beerhouse in Tsuen Wan where 21 customers have been taken ill with food poisoning. Photo:

Raw Irish oysters are being blamed for bringing down 21 people with food poisoning in a week after eating in a Tsuen Wan restaurant.

Twelve -- four men and eight women aged 27 to 30 -- were taken ill over the weekend, Ming Pao Daily reports.

All 21, including an 11-year-old and an elderly customer, developed abdominal pain, vomiting and diarrhea after dining on oysters in Anchor's Seafood and Beerhouse. 

The oysters came from Ireland's Drumcliff Bay, the report said, citing a government press release.

The Center for Food Safety on Thursday announced a ban on Drumcliff Bay oyster imports.

It said the raw oysters that downed the customers of Anchor's Seafood and Beerhouse were the last in stock.

-- Contact us at [email protected]