Two protest organizers attacked in separate incidents

August 30, 2019 14:57
Jimmy Sham (left), convenor of the Civil Human Rights Front, and Max Chung, also a protest organizer, were targets of two assault incidents on Thursday. Photo: RTHK/TMHK

Police are looking for suspects in separate attacks on two pro-democracy activists and their companions on Thursday.

One of the victims was Jimmy Sham Tsz-kit, convenor of the Civil Human Rights Front (CHRF), which has organized several massive marches against the extradition bill since June.

The CHRF planned another march and rally from Central to the Liaison Office this Saturday, but police rejected its application for a letter of no objection. An appeal to overturn the ban was also rejected.

According to Sham, he was having lunch with a friend in a restaurant on Tak Hing Street in Jordan at around noon when two men wearing face masks came in and attacked them with a baseball bat and a metal rod, the Hong Kong Economic Journal reported.

Sham, who described the assailants as not Chinese, said he was not injured but his friend was hit in the left arm at least three times for trying to stop them.

His friend suffered bruises and was sent to hospital.

Police later listed the case temporarily as assault occasioning actual bodily harm. No arrests have been made so far.

In a press briefing on Thursday afternoon, Senior Superintendent Kong Wing-cheung of the Police Public Relations Branch said the police arrived at the scene soon after receiving a report about the incident, adding that they had searched for the two assailants in the scene but there was no trace of them.

Kong said police would be looking into the possible motive for the attack during the investigation.

Several hours after the incident in Jordan, unidentified men attacked Max Chung Kin-ping, organizer of a protest in Yuen Long on July 27.

Chung said he was being interviewed by a reporter of an online media outlet near the Tai Wo MTR Station, when four men, described as being of South Asian descent, attacked them with metal rods and umbrellas.

They sustained injuries to the neck, back and arms, and were later taken to Alice Ho Miu Ling Nethersole Hospital for treatment.

Chung said the incident happened after he had reported to the Tai Po Police Station regarding the charge of incitement to unlawful assembly against him. He had been released unconditionally by the police.

Chung said he believed the attack was a premeditated one as he knew he was being tailed over the past few days.

Police also listed the case temporarily as assault occasioning actual bodily harm but no one has been arrested so far.

In a statement, Truth Media Hong Kong condemned the assault on Chung and its reporter, and asked the police to catch the assailants as quickly as possible.

– Contact us at [email protected]