Date
25 June 2017
Kevin Lau can now walk without the aid of a cane, a year after he was attacked in Sai Wan Ho. Photos: Ming Pao, Reuters
Kevin Lau can now walk without the aid of a cane, a year after he was attacked in Sai Wan Ho. Photos: Ming Pao, Reuters

A year after brutal attack, Kevin Lau still awaits justice

Exactly a year after the savage chopper attack that nearly killed him, former Ming Pao Daily chief editor Kevin Lau is still waiting for justice.

He said he has recovered from injuries he sustained in attack exactly a year ago and can now walk without the aid of a cane.

Financial Secretary John Tsang mentioned the attack in his budget speech on Wednesday, calling it an unbelievable violence. 

Two suspects in the attack have been arrested and will face charges of causing bodily harm and theft at the High Court on July 8, while nine others are free on bail while being investigated.

Lau told Ming Pao that he still hopes the mastermind and other culprits behind the crime will be arrested.

A police representative said the case is still under investigation.

A cash reward of HK$3.5 million has been put up for the arrest of the other culprits. The money was donated by University of Hong Kong staff and students, HK$700,000; Ming Pao, HK$1 million; the newspaper’s readers, HK$100,000; and anonymous donors, HK$1.5 million.

Lau, who is now president of operations at online media firm Medianet Holdings Limited, was stabbed at the back and in both legs as he was getting out of his car in Sai Wan Ho on Feb. 26 last year.

He had to remain on a wheelchair until early last month. “I can walk now, but I cannot run,” Lau said.

Commenting on press freedom in Hong Kong, Lau said the atmosphere remains unfavorable for media practitioners.

He said journalists, aside from closing ranks, should also explore the opportunities on the online platform, where the risk of censorship is relatively lower and whose reach is wider and faster.

There have been a number of violent incidents targeting media practitioners in recent years, one of the latest being the firebomb attack at the house of Next Media boss Jimmy Lai in Ho Man Tin on Jan. 12.

Pro-democracy broadcaster Stephen Shiu was attacked in his car by unidentified assailants on Nov. 2 last year, and am730 founder Shih Wing-ching was also attacked in his car by two men with hammers on July 30, 2013.

No one has been arrested in these three cases.

– Contact us at [email protected]

EL/AC/CG

EJI Weekly Newsletter

Please click here to unsubscribe