Date
24 November 2017
Hillary Clinton says her official e-mails from her time as state secretary will be released to the public but her personal messages will remain private. Photo: Reuters
Hillary Clinton says her official e-mails from her time as state secretary will be released to the public but her personal messages will remain private. Photo: Reuters

Clinton on e-mail furor: I broke no laws

Hillary Clinton said she used a personal e-mail address when she was United States secretary of state for convenience.

It was the first time Clinton addressed the issue, expressing a mix of regret and defiance, saying she broke no laws.

“I thought using one device would be simpler. Obviously, it hasn’t worked out that way,” she said in her first public comments since the New York Times made the revelation last week.

She said most of her e-mails were work-related, went to government employees and were captured on government servers.

Clinton said the State Department would make public all of her work-related e-mails but that her personal messages about issues such as her daughter’s wedding and the death of her mother would remain private, the New York Times reported Wednesday.

“I feel that I have taken unprecedented steps to provide these public e-mails; they will be in the public domain,” she said.

Clinton spoke for about 20 minutes during a news conference, covering women’s issues and denouncing moves by Republican lawmakers to undermine efforts for a nuclear agreement with Iran, before turning to the controversy over her emails.

However, she remained steadfast that she would not turn over personal e-mails and said that those messages in fact had been deleted.

The State Department said on Tuesday that it would publish online the full set of emails provided by Clinton from her time as secretary of state.

– Contact us at [email protected]

RA

EJI Weekly Newsletter

Please click here to unsubscribe