Date
19 January 2017
A man was admitted to the Tuen Mun Hospital and diagnosed with listeriosis infection after he ate smoked salmon in a restaurant. Photos: Metro Daily, internet
A man was admitted to the Tuen Mun Hospital and diagnosed with listeriosis infection after he ate smoked salmon in a restaurant. Photos: Metro Daily, internet

Man suffering from listeriosis found to have eaten smoked salmon

A 23-year-old man who was hospitalized and diagnosed with listeriosis infection was found to have consumed smoked salmon at a Tuen Mun restaurant in March.

Food safety inspectors are trying to determine if the case was related to the shipments of contaminated smoked salmon made by Polyfood Food Service Co. Ltd. and sold to consumers last month, Apple Daily reported.

The Centre for Health Protection (CHP) said the patient consumed sliced cheese towards the end of February and had smoked salmon at a restaurant in Tuen Mun in the middle of last month. 

He reported having fever, headache and dizziness on March 24 and sought medical help at the Tuen Mun Hospital the following day. The patient was in stable condition at the hospital.

The CHP has passed on its initial findings to the Food and Environmental Hygiene Department for further investigation. 

The Centre for Food Safety said Monday that over 700 kg of contaminated smoked salmon have already been sold to consumers through about 50 retail outlets. The manufacturer, Polyfood, is a subsidiary of Dah Chong Hong Holdings Ltd. (01828.HK).

Food safety authorities are continuing their investigation into the smoked salmon products believed to be contaminated with listeria monocytogenes, a kind of bacteria that could cause miscarriages in pregnant women and even death.

– Contact us at [email protected]

EL/JP/CG

EJI Weekly Newsletter