No charges will be filed in the alleged assault of four reporters during last year’s democracy protests.
The Hong Kong police said they will not prosecute the suspects, citing lack of evidence, Ming Pao Daily reported Thursday.
TVB reporter Sin Chi, RTHK journalist Wong Wing-yin and two others said they were attacked by suspected pro-government supporters during a rally in Tsim Sha Tsui on Oct. 25.
Wong said she could remember her attackers but the police never asked her to identify them.
TVB News criticized the decision not to prosecute, calling it regrettable, and condemned any violence on journalists as an attack on press freedom.
It demanded a more thorough investigation.
Hong Kong Journalists Association chairperson Sham Yee-lan said the decision was “incomprehensible” given ample photographic and video evidence.
She said the police should explain their decision and state whether the complaints were properly investigated.
Law Yuk-kai, director of Hong Kong Human Rights Monitor, accused the police of being remiss in their investigation and said the decision undermines their supposed neutrality.
He said it will put journalists in greater danger and have a lasting impact on the public.
– Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org