Date
22 October 2017
Many fans were disappointed with the highly hyped boxing match between Floyd Mayweather Jr. (left) and Manny Pacquiao. Photo: AFP
Many fans were disappointed with the highly hyped boxing match between Floyd Mayweather Jr. (left) and Manny Pacquiao. Photo: AFP

Pacquiao sued in US for allegedly concealing injury

Filipino boxer Manny Pacquiao was sued by two people who said they paid to watch him fight Floyd Mayweather Jr. in the Fight of Century but felt defrauded by Pacquiao’s alleged failure to disclose a pre-bout shoulder injury.

In a lawsuit field with a federal court in Nevada on Tuesday, Stephane Vanel and Kami Rahbaran sought compensation under laws meant to protect consumers and asked for status as a class action on behalf of ticket buyers, pay-per-view television viewers and people who gambled on the fight, Reuters reported.

Top Rank Inc., a promotions company that represents Pacquiao, was also named as a defendant in the lawsuit.

Pacquiao lost on a unanimous decision to Mayweather, an American, in a heavily hyped welterweight showdown in Las Vegas on Saturday that was expected to be the top grossing prize fight of all time.

Barely one hour after the contest ended, Pacquiao’s promoter, Bob Arum, said the 36-year-old southpaw had been hampered by an “old” injury to his right shoulder.

Pacquiao is also facing an investigation by Nevada’s attorney-general over his alleged failure to disclose the injury, Philippine network ABS-CBN reported.

– Contact us at [email protected]

CG

EJI Weekly Newsletter

Please click here to unsubscribe