Magistrate Kenneth Chan Ping-chau has rebuked the police again.
This time it was because the photo evidence that they had claimed to have deleted still exists, Apple Daily reported Friday.
Cheung Tak-chuen, 29, has been charged with assaulting police officers during an Occupy protest in Mong Kok Oct. 17.
He allegedly pushed a police officer and slapped another in the face while sitting in a squad car after his arrest.
Cheung’s lawyer had demanded that police provide the photo taken of his client at the police station.
However, on May 14, at the second hearing of the case, police said the photo may have been destroyed, prompting Chan to say it was unbelievable that the police could misplace or lose a vital piece of purported evidence.
On Thursday, at the third hearing, the prosecutor said the photo had been found and given to the defendant.
Chan, who was hearing the case in the Kwun Tong Magistrates’ Court, then asked the police if they had imagined having deleted the photo.
He told police not to act recklessly and demanded that they provide an explanation when the trial resumes on June 21.
Witnesses are expected to testify on that date.
– Contact us at [email protected]