Date
27 March 2017
Man Ho-chuen (inset, right) is shown attacking pro-democracy activist Chan Ho-hang in Admiralty last October. Photos: Internet, Ming Pao
Man Ho-chuen (inset, right) is shown attacking pro-democracy activist Chan Ho-hang in Admiralty last October. Photos: Internet, Ming Pao

Septuagenarian found guilty of attacking Occupy activist

A court found a 70-year-old man guilty of common assault for attacking a pro-democracy activist during last year’s Occupy protests, Ming Pao Daily reported on Friday.

The incident happened in front of the Bank of China Tower in Admiralty on Oct. 13, 2014.

Man Ho-chuen had denied the charge, saying that he merely stretched out his right hand in self-defense and accidentally hit the neck of the activist, Chan Ho-hang.

But Magistrate Lee Siu-ho of the Eastern Magistrates’ Courts dismissed Man’s testimony, saying he was only making up stories and his explanation did not stand to reason.

Lee said if Man felt threatened by Chan, he should have stepped down instead of poking Chan’s neck with his fingers.

Man said he will appeal the case.

Chan said the verdict shows that non-violent protest is effective and meaningful. He said if he had fought back, he would have been the one prosecuted.

Chan said he believes Man was instigated by other pro-Beijing individuals to attack him.

The case has been adjourned for sentencing on July 16.

Translation by Charis Heung

– Contact us at [email protected]

CH/JP/CG

EJI Weekly Newsletter

Please click here to unsubscribe