Date
25 July 2017
An apartment in Bailey Street in Hung Hom catches fire as a man falls asleep when taking cigarette. Photo: Google map, Headline Daily
An apartment in Bailey Street in Hung Hom catches fire as a man falls asleep when taking cigarette. Photo: Google map, Headline Daily

Fire forces residents to evacuate Hung Hom building

A cigarette that was left burning started a fire at a subdivided flat in an old building in Hung Hom on Tuesday, forcing about 30 residents to flee, Headline Daily reported.

Initial investigation showed that a 40-year-old Southeast Asian man took a nap after lunch but forgot to put out his cigarette, triggering a fire in his unit on the second floor of the eight-storey building on Bailey Street.

Fortunately, the man was awakened by the thick smoke and was able to flee barefoot.

More than 30 other residents in the building, including two teenage sisters whose parents were not at home at the time, were forced to evacuate.

A woman who dashed to the ground floor with her white puppy said she could still feel her dog trembling after they managed to escape. She said she would not be aware of the fire if not for her dog’s furious barking.

Responding firemen put out the fire.

Affected residents were taken to a nearby district services center for temporary shelter, while police officers took the Southeast Asian man to the police station for investigation.

— Contact us at [email protected]

EL/JP/CG

EJI Weekly Newsletter

Please click here to unsubscribe