Maxim’s Group has been fined HK$5,000 (US$645) after a dead fly was found in a chocolate bun, the second such penalty for the company in a week.
A judge in Fanling threw the book at the chain restaurant operator which had earlier denied the charge.
The case stemmed from a consumer complaint that parts of a dead fly were found in a bun bought from a Maxim’s cake shop in Long Ping West Rail Station in October 2014.
The complainant was a schoolgirl who brought the incident to the attention of the Food and Environmental Hygiene Department.
She said she had bought a pre-wrapped “snowy bun with chocolate” from the store but left it untouched for two days.
When she opened it, she found some black objects inside, which turned out to be parts of a dead fly, the court heard.
Defense lawyers initially denied the claim, saying the girl mixed up the bun with others bought by her mother on the same day.
But the girl shut down the defense argument by showing she had put her bun inside another wrapper, so it could not have been confused with any of the others.
She said it’s her favorite chocolate bun and that she continued to buy it even after the incident, although this time, she vowed to be more careful when eating it.
On Monday, Maxim’s was fined HK$8,000 after a cockroach was found in a plate of Sichuan-style shrimp balls in its Jade Garden Chinese restaurant in Star House, Tsim Sha Tsui.
In March, a judge ordered it to pay a HK$7,500 fine after a plastic glove was found in a loaf of bread from one of its shops.
And in September last year, it was forced to apologize for using lard from a Taiwanese firm at the center of a scandal over recycled oil.
Maxim’s fined HK$8,000 after dead cockroach found in food (Jul 21, 2015)
Maxim’s fined HK$7,500 for glove found in bread (Mar 20, 2015)
Maxim’s Cakes apologizes for using ‘gutter oil’ in some buns (Sept 8, 2014)
– Contact us at [email protected]