A 30-year-old mother was literally swallowed by a defective escalator at a shopping mall in Jingzhou in Central China’s Hubei province.
But out of that horrific scene, a mother’s love was shown.
At about 10 a.m. on Sunday, Xiang Liujuan and her son were going to an upper floor of AZG Mall, owned by Zhejiang-based Anliang Holding Group Co. Ltd., Chutian Metropolis Daily reported.
A video clip from a closed circuit television shows several staff standing at the upper end of the escalator, apparently warning customers to beware of possible problems with the escalator.
The woman apparently heeded the advice and held up her son. But when she arrived at the end of the escalator, the metal plate she stepped on collapsed.
She immediately passed her son to the staff, but she got stuck and was pulled into the hole.
After four hours, she was found dead in the machine with her legs twisted, the newspaper said.
The child was unharmed. Police are investigating the case.
The video spread quickly on social media, with netizens criticizing the owners of the shopping mall for poor maintenance of facilities.
Many found it strange that managers of the shopping center did not close the escalator even if they knew it was defective.
Other mainland newspapers, citing research data, said 60 percent of escalator accidents in China were caused by lack of maintenance while the remaing 40 percent were due to poor quality and installation of the machine.
Translation by Jeff Pao
Hubei escalator tragedy could have been prevented (July 29, 2015)
– Contact us at [email protected]