Hong Kong fast food chain Maxim’s has been forced to apologize and refund a customer after a rusted screw was found in a bowl of noodle soup from a takeaway outlet.
A woman, surnamed But, bought the HK$26 (US$3.35) dish from a Maxim’s counter in Mong Kok and discovered the screw, complete with a washer, when she sat down to eat breakfast in her workplace.
“I sensed something in the soup and found a big rusted screw in it,” But was quoted as saying by Apple Daily.
She complained to the restaurant and got her money back.
But said the object might have come from a kitchen equipment, adding it could have been one of many that had come loose.
Maxim’s said it will investigate.
The woman said she was told by Maxim’s staff that the incident might have been the fault of the kitchen supplier, but she is not buying the excuse.
She said she will never buy Maxim’s food again.
It was the second incident this month for the fast food giant.
On Sept. 16, Ming Pao reported that moldy Maxim’s mooncakes sickened a four-year-old child in Guangzhou who had received a box of the desserts from a Hong Kong woman.
In July, the restaurant was fined HK$8,000 after a cockroach was found in a shrimp ball dish and another HK$5,000 after a dead fly turned up in a chocolate bun.
In March, a judge ordered it to pay HK$7,500 for a plastic glove found in a loaf of bread.
And in September last year, it was forced to apologize for using lard from a Taiwanese firm at the center of a gutter oil scandal.
– Contact us at [email protected]