Pro-democracy groups are planning a silent protest to mark the first anniversary of last year’s protests.
A series of commemorations is planned for Sept. 28 when the 79-day occupation of major Hong Hong streets began in 2014, Apple Daily reports.
Civil Human Rights Front, Scholarism, the Hong Kong Federation of Students (HKFS) and other groups said in a joint statement Tuesday that there is no turning back for the democracy movement.
They said they have no regrets despite the failure of the movement to achieve its objectives.
Also, they called on Hong Kong people to turn up on Monday with the same fervor as they did during last year’s protests.
They want Hongkongers to reflect on the movement and ensure it will last, a member of Scholarism was quoted as saying.
The activists plan to use “Lennon Wall” in Admiralty as a backdrop for a show of force, complete with yellow umbrellas and banners — symbols of the street protests.
They will stand in silence for 15 minutes starting at 5:28 p.m. to coincide with the first police action on the protesters in which tear gas and pepper spray were used.
The co-founders of Occupy Central, the civil disobedience movement which played a key role in the protests, will attend.
Cardinal Joseph Zen will say an outdoor mass near the public entrance to the Legislative Council building.
A campaign against political persecution will be launched to support activists who are facing police charges and raise funds for their defense.
Meanwhile, Scholarism, HKFS and the Chinese University of Hong Kong student union will host a public forum on democracy from Tuesday until next Wednesday.
– Contact us at [email protected]