Sony Corp.’s chief executive said next year will be a make-or-break year for its struggling smartphone business, Reuters reported.
Kazuo Hirai said the firm could consider other options for the business if it fails to turn a profit.
After years of losses, Hirai has engineered a successful restructuring drive at Sony, recent results showing improvement thanks to cost cuts, an exit from weak businesses such as PCs, as well as strong sales of image sensors and videogames.
But the smartphone business has been slow to turn around.
“We will continue with the business as long as we are on track with the scenario of breaking even next year onwards,” Hirai told reporters Wednesday.
Sony and other Japanese electronics makers have struggled to compete with cheaper Asian rivals as well as the likes of Apple Inc. and Samsung Electronics Ltd.
Sony’s phones, including its Xperia-branded smartphones, held only 17.5 percent of the market in Japan and less than 1 percent in North America, company figures showed last year.
– Contact us at [email protected]