Hong Kong animal owners are being warned against frozen or raw pet food after salmonella was found in some test samples.
The salmonella bacteria can cause food poisoning in pets and humans and can be fatal in serious cases.
The Consumer Council said it found salmonella in three of 17 samples during random tests on pet food.
These came from two Australian brands – Big Dog and Doctor B’s.
Michael Hui, chairman of the council’s publicity and community relations committee, said pets infected with salmonella could suffer diarrhea, vomiting and fever.
Their owners may be vulnerable to infection when exposed to contaminated food containers and feces.
Hong Kong does not regulate pet food quality and it has no mechanism for product recalls.
However, the watchdog said existing regulations should be tightened.
A local public relations agency for Big Dog said salmonella cannot be ruled out in raw pet food products but it does not pose a serious threat to animal health.
Such products are widely sold in Australia and other Asia Pacific countries, it said, adding the company has not received any complaints about dog food safety.
– Contact us at [email protected]